In the U.S., corn and soy represent 71% of all major US field crops.


Corn 83.9 mill harvested acres in 2011/12---------------37.6%* Soy 73.7 mill harvested acres in 2011/12----------------33%* Total US acreage used for crops is 223 million acres** Therefore corn & soy collectively represent 70.6% of total harvested acres used for crops in the U.S.

.Source: USDA, 2012, Agricultural Baseline Database, Economic Research Service, available from: http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/agricultural-baseline-database.aspx * from: http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/agricultural-baseline-database/cus... [Input: 2012 + corn, soybeans + harvested acres] **sum of all major US "field crops": barley, corn, oats, rice, sorghum, soybeans, cotton, wheat (see totals below) [Input: 2012 + select all crops + harvested acres] barley: 2.2 mill corn: 83.9 oats: 0.9 rice: 2.6 sorghum: 4.4 soybean: 73.7 cotton: 9.6 wheat: 45.7 [verified 4/17/14]

#food #agriculture